Shoreview Minnesota History
The Shoreview Community Foundation (SVCF) has provided SHS and the City of Shore with a $5,000 joint grant to support the construction of a new public library on the former Larson Farmhouse site. The 2.4-acre site, which includes a century-old brick farmhouse, was purchased by the city in 2012 after the death of longtime owner Art Larson. Shoreviews Historical is pleased to announce that the historic photos on display in the new library are from the original Larson Farmhouse, as well as photos of the Larson family and other historic buildings.
Larson sold the land to allow the construction of a new public library on the former Larson Farmhouse site in the late 1990s.
When Leo retired in 1976, Richard Houck had bought Motor Coach Advertising & Co. from Robert and operated it for a few years. By this time Leo was already retired and Richard worked for the company as an advertising manager until his death in 1983. Houcking Transit Advertising now serves the state of the United States, including the cities of Minneapolis, St. Paul, Duluth, Minneapolis - Saint Paul and Minneapolis. Light rail that runs from the Minneapolis suburb of Hopkins southwest to the park, and the Great Northern Trail, which offers scenic views of Lake Superior, Mississippi and Lake Michigan, as well as the Twin Cities.
The Western Minnesota Plains Village Complex is called Great Oasis, named after the site excavated by the University of Minnesota in Murray County. The Great Oasis was more common in northwestern Iowa and southeastern South Dakota than in southwestern Minnesota, and was perhaps one of the earliest Plains Village complexes.
The Itasca bison site was first excavated by the University of Minnesota in 1937, and crews returned in 1963 and 1965. The facility is located on the banks of Itaca Lake, one of the largest lakes in southwest Minnesota, home to more than 1,000 bison and other wildlife.
The newly discovered land was covered with spruce forests, tundra and grassland, which provided food for the bison, but also wild rice and other wild animals. Wild rice became a very important food and the basic forest lifestyle continued, with deer and wild rice being the two most important resources to supplement the food of bison and many other animal species.
Most of the region behaved like boreal forest vegetation, with bison being the most important resource in the Red River Valley, but in northeastern Minnesota the forests were more mixed with deciduous species. The areas in western Minnesota included a mix of prairie and forest, tundra and grassland. The forest dwellers seem to have moved between prairie and forest seasonally. Meanwhile, there were locations with a more diversified economy in northern Minnesota, such as the Great Lakes region of Minnesota and parts of North Dakota.
Early archaic times, southern and western Minnesota were covered by prairie, and Minnesota was predominantly prairie during the late Archipelago period, with drier peaks in northern Minnesota and drier peaks in southern Minnesota. During the late Archaic period, the climate and vegetation in Minnesota closely resemble that of Euro-American settlement.
When University of Minnesota archaeologists arrived at the site a few years later, most of the skeletons and related artifacts had been removed by collectors, and collectors had removed most of the skeletons, but the most dramatic effect was still missing. 14,000 years ago, a warming and drying climate would have exposed the archaic, a time of rising temperatures and drought, much of which is in southwestern Minnesota.
The pump and steel building was eventually sold and transferred into private ownership and donated to the historical association for restoration. Krebsbach said she was proud to turn the site into an interactive history lesson for visitors. The program is presented by the Shoreview Area Historical Society in partnership with the University of Minnesota Museum of Natural History and St. Paul Public Library.
The Vermillion River Regional Greenway provides access to the riverside town of Hastings, located on the banks of the Mississippi River in southeastern Minnesota. European settlers founded Shoreview on land that the Ojibwe, an indigenous Dakota tribe, had ceded to the United States. In 1837, part of the land between the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers, including what is now the coast, was ceded to a United States government by some of its inhabitants, the Eau Claire and Dakota tribes. The Vermilion River's regional green road runs along the shores of Lake Superior, near the historic early 19th-century pump house and the town of Shore View. In 1836, land between the US Army Corps of Engineers and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, land that was transferred from the Ojibwes, or Dakota, indigenous tribes to a United States government, included what is now Shore View. In 1837, a 1,000-acre area, like the one now called ShoreView, lay between the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers.